How to Use NCS Dummy for Coding – Tutorial
While coding might seem easy to those who have been coding cars for a few years, most newbies are scared to use NCS Expert on their own and for good reason. Without proper knowledge you could end up messing up your car. It`s not unfixable but it surely isn`t pleasant to be in such a situation. This is where NCS Dummy comes in. It makes using Ncs Expert less a pain.
What you should know before using NCS Dummy:
- You should have a properly installed pack of EDIABAS and NCS EXPERT
- You have to load a properly configured coding profile like in the picture below. This will ensure the changes that you make will be sent and written to the module you are working on.
That printscreen is from our coding pack which is tailored to work flawless on all E series models.
- Ensure you have the latest NCS Dummy version or download it directly here.
If you have everything set up, let`s get started:
The difference between doing the coding on your own besides using the Dummy is that you need to know the value names that you are looking for in the module and what they do.
1. Open NCS EXPERT and load the coding profile.
2. Click ok “VIN/ZCS/FA,” then on “ZCS/FA f. ECU” and choose your chassis.
3. After choosing your chassis you should see ncs expert read and display your VIN number, then click on “Back”
4. Click on Process ECU and choose the ECU that contains the value you want to modify, then click on Read ECU.
5. After the module has been read, close the window that pops up and look closely at ncs expert`s main window (in the example below we read the DSC module:
6. Head over to the Dummy, select your chassis, module and the FSW_PSW.TRC location:
7. After the FSW_PSW.TRC and the values are loaded you can either browse the descriptions and change the values to “Aktiv” or “Nicht_Aktiv” or you can use the search function (“ctrl+F in windows) and make sure that “look in” all possible options are selected like in the example below:
8. After you modified the desired values we are going to apply them. Click on “Export FSW/PSW” in the Dummy and Export .man file (manipulation file).
9. Go back to the NCS EXPERT window, click on “Change job” and select “sg_codieren” and OK, then click on “Execute job”.
This process will apply the changes. In case no errors pop up you have succesfuly coded using NCS Dummy.
In case you want to learn from us, we will get you started and teach you to code live on Team Viewer for free is you purchase any of our packs (either for F series or E series). You can even record the session using Camtasia or any other screen recording software.